Working on issues important to older people? Find it challenging to make your case? Learn how to tell a new story about aging.
We all age, yet the dominant messages about aging and older people are negative stereotypes, assumptions and misconceptions. Ageism — discrimination based on age — is a reality that impacts older adults every day with 82 percent of older adults experiencing one form of ageism daily, according to a recent survey. It makes it more difficult for older people to remain engaged, stifles the contributions of older residents and makes it more challenging to advocate for programs and services for older people.
We can tell a new story about aging.
The Reframing Aging Initiative takes a holistic approach using an evidence-based communication strategy as the core to create collective change in public discourse, policies and practices. Based on research from FrameWorks Institute, it offers specific recommendations and guiding principles to make your communications more effective.
Resources from FrameWorks Institute
- All In: Audience insights for eliminating stereotypes
- Framing for Social Change (from Stanford Social Innovation Review)
- Guidelines for Age-Inclusive Communications (from Changing the Narrative)
- Implicit Association Tests
- The Why and How of Reframing Aging (from Reframing Aging Initiative)
- Frame of Mind: Reframing Aging from Them to Us (from Reframing Aging Initiative)
Reframing in the news
- AgeStrong Commission (formerly Commission on Affairs of the Elderly)
- Rhode Island Office of Healthy Aging (formerly Division of Elderly Affairs)
- Oxford Social Center (formerly Oxford Senior Center)
- New Hampshire Alliance for Healthy Aging
Learn more about the national initiative
Framing: the process of making choices about what to emphasize and what to leave unsaid. Learn themes to avoid and alternatives to advance.
A communications toolkit from FrameWorks Institute.
Access FrameWorks Academy for an in-depth look at the research behind the Reframing Aging Initiative. This resource is free once you create an account.
Healthy aging data reports
Resources to better understand communities and older people.